Friday, November 13, 2009

To Market We Go


Today we went to the Masai Market. It was an interesting experience. At first it was difficult being there. After our day at Spring Valley yesterday, many of us weren't much in the mood for shopping. Me - not in the mood for shopping. I know this is hard to believe for some of you! But, after walking around the area and seeing all of the beautiful (maridadi sana) artwork and handiwork, it was hard to not want to take something home to share Africa with others. The pictures made of banana leaves, the wooden and soapstone bowls, beaded jewelry, pretty dresses, leather bookmarks . . . were all just so amazing. We all had fun bargaining - my experience in China was helpful here! Ghali sana (very expensive), bei rahisi (can it be cheaper)! CJ was a little less successful - she paid $20 USD for two small beaded necklaces - until Jennifer showed her how it was done. She felt bad bargaining with them, but it is expected. Later she had talked a guy into selling her a soapstone elephant for less than half price and felt bad about it. CJ has such a big heart! Sandi asked me to just get two of everything so she wouldn't have to bargain, but she ended up being great at it and got some good things at a cheap price.

The market also had another unexpected treat - Western food for lunch. I couldn't help myself and had two slices of pizza. After all of the stomach issues we have experienced here, it tasted so great! Most also decided to donate their lunch money to Spring Valley and buy our own lunch today. Today was a lot of fun and our moods were elevated for the time we were at the market. But, I think most missed spending the time with the kids. A lot of the kids returned to school today, so they would not have been at HOREC anyway.

Today we had to say goodbye to Marcos, one of our drivers for the week. He was so great (and patient with the Kiswahili lessons). He fondly referred to me as CJ2 - short for Crazy Joyce. I found myself crying as I returned to my room after the market. In this short time, we have bonded with our new friends (rafiki yangu). And, as we reflect on what tomorrow brings, I think it will be very hard for the team. We have such an affinity toward the children and the staff at HOREC. Saying goodbye will be very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment