Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Little Pick Me Up

After Spring Valley, we headed to HOREC to spend some time with the kids. Our intention was to finish the painting and put some finishing touches on the playground set, but most of the time was just spent with the kids. I was able to complete most of my interviews with the kids (thanks to Alice and Susan's help). I am hoping to start a child sponsorship program through Global Hope (to secure our funding to HOREC each month) when I return and wanted to gather some personal information on the kids while I was here. Boniface clung to my arm as I interviewed the small children. Susan, Josephine, Tabitha and Alice helped "fill in the blanks" on names, ages, etc. It was quite comical when the older girls would ask the younger kids for their favorite color, animal, etc. They really tried to tell the younger kids what their favorites were based on what they personally liked. Most of the kids like pink and orange. Most want to be a policeman/woman, soldier, doctor or get this, accountant! The saddest part was trying to get them to tell me what their favorite activities, etc. were. They couldn't come up with much because of their limited experiences, etc. If you'd ask American kids the same questions, they would have a ton of answers - reading, playing ball, playing video games, playing with my dog, climbing a tree, going hiking, swimming, etc. But these kids, these kids, didn't have much to say. I am praying that the playground set that the guys and CJ built will provide them hours of fun and enjoyment in the days ahead.

We also distributed the clothes to the kids and adults. The amount and quality of clothes that were given to us by family and friends was amazing! Amazing! Amazing! Thank you to everyone who has helped us gather these items and has supported us on this trip. Marty, Sandy, Sandi, Priscilla, Shelley, Betty and others folded all of the clothes and arranged them on the tables in the new dining room. The kids were then brought in to select clothes, shoes, underwear, etc. They were thrilled. After the children were done, they did the same with the adult clothes. Marty said Beatrice (the nanny - the kids call her "Grandma") jumped up after selecting a beautiful new dress. The guys also apparently were excited and appreciative to get some new things.

All of this was followed by another beauty session. Sandi brought nailpolish for the girls and they had a ball with it. I painted several little toes. And, they reciprocated by painting my fingernails neon pink! It matched Robb's shirt (sorry Robb, I had to give you a hard time about it one last time!) My fingernails are maridadi sana (beautiful)! I wish it would not wear off so I can have it forever.

After the time at Spring Valley, we all needed this "pick-me-up" with the kids! Thank you (asante sana), God!

Saturday is going come way too soon! I just don't know how I can say goodbye. Each of these children has found a special place in my heart. And, Christine and her staff have all just been so great. The hospitality we have received has been so amazing - what a blessing to have these new friends (rafiki yangu). Buana Yasifiwe (Praise God)! (I think you all have guessed by now that I like that phrase! Buana Yasifiwe!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I know this is totally random but I am doing some research on Horec Childrens Home in Kenya Africa and I saw your name listed among the donors. Is it possible for us to speak sometime If this is indeed the same Jane Phillips? Thank you!

    Emily Ngumba
    Email horsinaround519@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete